Abe Conlon and Adrienne Lo have officially launched Fat Food Productions.
Fat Food Productions is a creative food and beverage platform built on quality, positivity, diversity, and sustainable progress for the evolving food and hospitality world.
With a mindful progressive approach, Fat Food Productions develops and fosters new creative experiences, concepts, food, beverages, and initiatives.
Conlon and Lo – business partners and collaborators for over a decade – view Fat Food Productions as a return to their culinary roots. Over those years, the duo is known for their flagship restaurant Fat Rice in addition to X-marx supperclub, pop-up concepts like Flour & Bones, Mama’s Nuts!, The Bakery at Fat Rice, The Ladies’ Room, Super Fat Rice Mart, and Fat Rice Community Kitchen.
During the onset of the pandemic in March 2020, Conlon and Lo made a commitment to establish and structure a new form of food business that could be flexible, sustainable, equitable, and accommodate the changing landscape of customer, employee, and community needs.
“Fat Food Productions is committed to an inclusive, growth-oriented environment where team members are encouraged and mentored to pursue excellence and knowledge of the hospitality industry in a nurturing and positive environment,” Conlon and Lo said. “From the critical feedback we received, we acknowledge and value the hard truths that in the past we were not always at our best when it came to being leaders and coaching team members.”
“We’ve spent the past 18 months working diligently to better ourselves as people, as restaurant operators, and as communicators with the help of qualified professionals to help shape and reestablish our core values. We are excited to push forward, grow, and continue to better ourselves for our team and our businesses.”
In December 2021, Fat Food Productions will launch an immersive food, beverage, and experiential ticketed pop-up experience inside The Ladies’ Room and The Bakery at Fat Rice spaces.
More details will be available soon.
Unbelievable Hot Sauce
Conlon and Lo just launched Unbelievable Hot Sauce featuring unique flavor profiles that are handmade, naturally-fermented, small-batch, gluten-free, low-sugar, and preservative-free.
The Fat Food Productions space at 2957 W Diversey Ave where the Unbelievable Hot Sauce line is produced and bottled is one of the few restaurants in Chicago that is HACCP certified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
All three current Unbelievable Hot Sauce offerings (listed below from mild to spicy) can be ordered for pickup and delivery via its new website here. Fat Food Productions plan to release Fat Rice favorite “Diabo” hot sauce soon.
- “Mothman Lives” made with charred chilis and tart tamarind that pairs well with black bean chili, steak & eggs, roasted cauliflower, mac ‘n cheese, and more.
- “Dover Demon on the Loose” made with fermented habanero peppers, mango, and cumin that pairs well with coconut shrimp, fried snapper, jicama avocado salad, cornbread, and more.
- “Attack of the Nightcrawlers” made with banana, guava, cherry bomb peppers, and ghost peppers that pairs well with oysters, shellfish, fried chicken, mixed grills, popcorn butter, and more.
NoodleBird at Fat Rice
NoodleBird at Fat Rice is Conlon’s and Lo’s fast-casual concept inspired by the vibrant street food scenes of Macau and Asia that opened in August 2021.
NoodleBird is the first of many planned rotating culinary experiences that will take place in the former Fat Rice restaurant space.
The NoodleBird menu items include live-fire charcoal-grilled chicken, char siu pork, hand-rolled rice noodles and Fat Rice favorites like pork & ginger dumplings, egg tarts, and milk tea.
Currently, the entire NoodleBird menu is gluten free except for the two boiled dumpling offerings and the two desserts. Over 40 percent of the menu is vegan.
NoodleBird will soon add Fat Rice “brunch” staples like the pork chop sandwich, Hong Kong French toast, smoked oyster omelette, and minchi to the menu.
NoodleBird is open for dine-in, patio seating, takeout, and delivery from 11am until 9pm Wednesday thru Sunday.
The Chicago Spirit
Fat Food Productions launched The Chicago Spirit – a line of premium pre-Prohibition bottled cocktails that evoke the mysterious, black-market underbelly of 1920s Chicago.
Guests can order the cocktails for delivery via The Chicago Spirit website, pick them up at NoodleBird to go, and enjoy them while dining at NoodleBird.
The Chicago Spirit cocktail highlights include:
- “Lady Death” – a spicy and smoky margarita made with a signature agave blend (tequila, mezcal, and sotol), grapefruit, hibiscus, warming spices, tamarind and chili salt.
- “Mr. Night” – a Black Manhattan made with a signature whiskey blend (premium ryes and bourbons), Spanish vermouth, alpine amaro, port wine, and vermouth-soaked cherries.
- “Lake St. Mummy” – a riff on a classic tiki cocktail made with a signature 5-year Caribbean spirits blend (demerara rums and cane agricoles) with passion fruit, citrus juices, and spiced rum-soaked pineapple.
- “Double Agent Zero” – a citrus-forward negroni with a signature “bathtub gins” blend (premium London dry, juniper, and Douglas fir gins) with wild citrus liqueur, gentian red beetle bitters, and fresh rosemary.